RAGT Australia’s David Leah Technical Product Development Manager – Broadacre was honoured to be a representative at the Australian Grains Export Innovation Centre (AEGIC) Malting Barley Technical Seminars held in China in October 2023.
The seminars were held in Beijing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou, and attracted over 300 attendees, including leading maltsters, brewers, researchers, and other industry stakeholders, including RAGT Australia developer of leading malting barley RGT Planet Barley.
- The seminars covered a broad range of topics, including:
- Australian malting barley production and quality
- The latest research on malting barley agronomy and crop management
- New developments in malting barley breeding and genetics
- The impact of climate change on malting barley production
- The future of the Australian malting barley industry
The seminars also provided an opportunity for Australian barley growers and maltsters to network with Chinese industry stakeholders and learn more about the Chinese malting barley market.
The AEGIC Australia Malting Barley Technical Seminars were well-received by the Chinese industry and highlighted the importance of the relationship between Australia and China in the global malting barley market.
Some specific examples of topics that were covered in the seminars:
- The use of precision agriculture technologies to improve malting barley quality.
- The development of new malting barley varieties that are more resistant to pests, diseases, and drought.
- The impact of climate change on malting barley production in Australia and China
- The future of the Australian malting barley industry, with a focus on increasing exports to China
David Leah, in addition to undertaking site visits to the Australian Embassy in Beijing, Chinese malthouse Dalian Xingze Malt, the Dalian Port and the Tsingtao Brewery, had the opportunity to present to Chinese maltsters, brewers, grain buyers in Beijing and Guangzhou. These presentations not only covered the sought after RGT Planet Barley but also updates on up-and-coming RGT Asteroid, RGT Orbiter and RP22054.
Overall, the AEGIC Australia Malting Barley Technical Seminars were a valuable success and helped to strengthen the relationship between the Australian and Chinese malting barley industries.
RAGT Australia and the RAGT Group are committed to the Australian Seed Industry both locally and globally and proudly support initiatives like the AGEIC Malting Barley Technical Seminars.